Monday, March 3, 2014

Packing up

Hello, Cliff Tadoussac here. Just finished my last "Bubble Island Tea" while I pack for my departure to Africa this Tuesday. For those of you that haven't met me yet, I am from the shore of Lake Huron and have decided to tag along with Martha on her journey.  I will get back to work and let her fill you in on what's been happening.
     

This past week we had Basic Safety Training. On Tuesday we donned bunker gear and put out fires. We covered first aid and CPR. We discussed safety on the ship, everything from fires to mishaps at sea. We finished off the week with Personal Survival Techniques. This involved going to a pool on Friday night, donning an immersion suit (you look and feel like Gumby) and jumping off the diving board using the proper technique. Then we had to upright an overturned 12 man raft. I hope I never have to use this training but I am grateful for it. Mercy Ships takes safety very seriously, I'm all for that!
The highlight of the week was the arrival of Melina and Loren. They came on Wednesday afternoon and were able to go to the Community Meeting on Thursday where they met several of the staff here at the IOC. Even though our time together was short I am blessed that we were able to see each other. We celebrated my birthday with the Africa Mercy captain who happens to be here for some recertification training and a previous Mercy Ships captain who is here teaching our safety course. I will miss my girls dearly but I know that they are in God's loving hands.
This has been such an incredible time of learning, growing and making new friends. The staff here have  taught, counseled and prepared us from their hearts, I feel well equipped for the journey ahead. I couldn't do this without the support, both financially and spiritually, from all of you. I hope that you feel like you are part of this journey, I carry your spirit with me. You will be in my prayers and I ask that you keep us in your prayers for safe travel, healthy bodies and joyful spirits. Thank you.
Serving with Joy!